The Schengen visa allows the holder to a total stay of up to 3 months days within a period of 6 months for tourist or business purposes. Receiving the multiple entry Schengen visa, is possible to leave and return in any number of times within the 6 months period, but the combined stay within the region must not total more than 3 months (90 days).
The Latvian Embassy or a Consulate of the Republic of Latvia takes a decision of the issue of a visa within 7 days of the receipt of necessary documents. If additional information is required, the process may take up to 30 days.
Documents required for applying for Schengen visa for travel to Latvia:
- A valid passport or other travel document (containing at least two blank pages and with a term of validity exceeding the expiry date of the visa requested by a minimum of three months);
- A completed and signed official application form;
- 1 passport-size recent colour photo (3,5×4,5cm);
- Travel medical insurance policy valid in all Schengen countries and covering the entire period of the visit in the Schengen area (the minimum amount of the insurance is 30 000 EUR);
- Payment or confirmation of the payment of visa application fee. Short-term visa costs 60 EUR.
Supporting documents justifying the purpose and conditions of the visit (the necessity to submit any of the below is defined by the consular officers):
- purpose of entry or visitation (such as an invitation number approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs);
- means of transport for arriving and leaving Latvia (such as round-trip tickets or a reservation for tickets);
- means of subsistence to stay in Latvia and other Schengen countries, and means to return to state of residence (such as records of bank account transactions in the past months or tax returns); (The following amounts are required: if the party extending the invitation provides the foreign national being invited with accommodation, the estimate for the required financial means is 14 EUR a day;
- place of residence in Latvia (such as a hotel reservation or an invitation approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs, if staying with the inviting party);
- proof that person will return to your state of residence (such as a letter from the employer or an educational institution).
If there is the Schengen visa issued to the employee of the Latvian or foreign company, receiving of the work permit and announcement of the vacancy (1 month before receiving of the Schengen visa) is required before receiving of the visa.
In this case one must have salary at least 1277.00 EUR per month.
A multiple-entry visa may be issued to a foreign national if the applicant proves the need to travel frequently and/or regularly and justifies such need, in particular due to his occupational or family status, and if the foreign national has used any previous visas lawfully, as well as proves his integrity and reliability, his economic situation in the country of origin and his genuine intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa applied for.